Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ah, inspiration, there you are.

So I'm traveling again. Which means I'm blogging with purpose again (as opposed to slapping some random rant up here in an attempt to please you, my loyal readers.)

Well, let's just hope it's coherent.

My flight last night was at 11:45 pm. I slept(ish) for most of it, though I was in the middle seat so it was mostly in a hunched over sort of position. Very uncomfortable. I had to haul it in the Miami airport on what the agent had called "a five minute walk" it was not. It was much more like a 30 minute hike. I mean, what with the weights I was carrying and the awkward way they forced me to hustle, I think I got more of a work out than I do when I work out with my mom. And that's saying something.

I've never flown over the Gulf of Mexico before, and let me tell you, it was breathtaking. There is this rainbow sheen reflecting off the crystalline blue water underneath a few puffy white clouds.

At least it was breathtaking, until I fell asleep again. I just can't seem to stay awake in transit unless I'm the one driving.

So after a gorgeous descent into the lush green of the rainforested country, and a lively talk with my cab driver, I'm sitting in the lobby of the Marriott, hungry, tired and oddly detached.

I mean, it's unreal how beautiful it is here. The hotel is painted that adobe reddish brown and there is a pool tiled in deep blue outside wrought iron gates and surrounded by lush green palms and bright pink flowers. The light in here, thrown form wrought iron chandeliers is yellow and adds to the warmth already provided by the hearty wood beaming and wood floors.

I have a feeling that San Jose is going to present itself as a peculiar set of contrasts. Perhaps I'll think this over more in the Hooters across the street. I may just have a hankering for some hot wings.

But this feeling of detachment is odd. I can speak Spanish, pretty well, actually, but I still feel like I'm intruding. It was fine talking one-on-one with the taxi driver, but sitting here in the lobby, surrounded by a very large Spanish/English language speaking family, I feel isolated. I can understand them, but I don't know if they assume that I can or if they assume that I can't. So I've taken up my natural post as observer.

That's it. No more for me. I can't think. I want to take a nap.

Hasta la proxima vez.

No comments: